21 Mar 2018, Edition - 981, Wednesday
- J&K: 2 cops and 2 Army jawans martyred in Kupwara encounter; 4-5 terrorists still holed up
- Sensex closed 139.42 points or 0.42% higher at 33,136.18 after rising as much as 350 points during intraday high
- Both telcos are locked in a fierce battle for subscribers and need to invest in expanding their 4G network
- The ₹ 6 Lakh reward will be part of the revised ‘Rehabilitation Policy for Militants
- 15-year-old girl student commits suicide at her home on Tuesday by hanging herself from a ceiling fan
- Maharashtra: 5 men linked to ISIS terror outfit arrested by ATS; plot to target Bodhgaya foiled.
- DMK’s Stalin writes to CMs of 10 states, demanding fiscal autonomy for states
- Former Maharashtra CM Sushilkumar Shinde speaks on Congress’ U-turn on Lingayats
- Disruption in Lok Sabha leads to the house being adjourned for the day
- Ceasefire violations at an all-time high as Pak has violated ceasefire 600 times in nearly 2 months
Airport expansion: villagers gherao officials, prevent construction
Covai Post Network
September 19, 2016
Residents and farmers today gheraoed district and airport officials, who had gone to SIHS colony to construct a wall as part of airport expansion.
As the officials, led by Village Administration Officer Chandrasekhar, arrived at the area for constructing the wall, some 150 villagers and farmers rushed there, prevented the officials and gheraoed them, police said.
The villagers pointed out that some 60 acres of land were acquired by the Government for the airport expansion work three decades ago and compensation was yet to be paid. They also demanded that the Government pay compensation as per the prevailing market rates in the area, police said.
Senior police officials managed to convince the agitators and assured to take up the issue with the authorities, after which they dispersed.