October 27, 2016
Thanjavur: Readymade garments, worth several lakh rupees, were destroyed in a fire that broke out in the first floor of a textile shop at Nageswaran North Street in Kumbakonam early this morning.
On being informed, fire and rescue service personnel, led by station fire officer Chelladurai, rushed there and extinguished the fire after battling it for over three hours. However, the readymade garments in the first floor of the textile shop were destroyed. An electrical short circuit in the air-conditioner is said to be the cause.
Based on a complaint by R Kannan, owner of the textile shop, the Kumbakonam West police have registered a case and further investigation is on.