May 2, 2018
Can’t think of stepping out of home without wearing one of your favourite pieces of jewellery? For some of us, dressing up is never complete without donning a trendy necklace, a pair of earrings, bracelet or other accessory styles. After all it is such a convenient way to add instant glam to any kind of look. But then again all that sparkles won’t last forever if you don’t take care of your jewellery. Are you into silver jewellery of lately? If the answer is yes, then you need to be twice as more careful when it comes to storing silver jewellery and keeping the shine on.
While you definitely love your silver jewellery and want to wear it all the time, you need to know when it’s time to remove it. Avoid wearing delicate silver jewellery while cooking, gymming, swimming, or any household chores. You should also stay away from extreme exposure to heat and light as silver as well as gemstones can fade or discolour.
Here are some tips that can help you:
1. Clean your jewellery before storing: Sweat tends to play spoilsport because it brings in moisture and could cause tarnishing. Therefore, it is very important that before storing, you wipe off all the sweat from the jewellery pieces and store them in concealed boxes.
2. Airtight boxes: Store your silver jewellery in an airtight box or anti-tarnishing wooden box to preserve it for a longer time. Never store them in uncoated wooden boxes because that will definitely cause it to lose colour or shine.
3. Use anti-tarnish paper or cloth: A great way to store your precious silver jewellery is to wrap the pieces with a soft cloth (like muslin) to retain the shine and prevent discolouring. You could also use anti-tarnish paper or tissue papers to wrap each piece of jewellery. Never wrap them in newspaper.
4. Separation is necessary: Do not keep two different types of jewellery in one box. It is very essential to store your jewellery in a separate jewellery box or secured containers that will prevent them from getting scratched and broken.
5. Silica gel or activated charcoal: Get your hands on small sachets of silica gel or some activated charcoal and store them inside the box along with your silver jewellery. They work wonders in absorbing moisture, and thereby prevents tarnishing.
Remember, always put on your jewellery last when dressing up. It should be done after the use of make-up, cosmetics, perfume and lotions to avoid damage to delicate items.