16 Jul 2018, Edition - 1098, Monday
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra govt over suicide by almost 700 farmers in the state
- Terrorists opened fire upon a police post guarding the house of NC leader at Murran Pulwama, 1 cop martyred, 2 guards injured
- Major Aditya Case: J&K authorities refuse to quash FIR, wants all states involved
- Petrol becomes cheaper by 11 Paise, Diesel by 14
- NIA Court sends Asiya Andrabi and two others for 30 days judicial custody
- Even doing ‘Puja’ has become difficult here, says PM Modi in Midnapore
- J&K: Infiltration bid foiled in Kupwara as 1 terrorist was gunned down while 2 army men were injured in the firing
- Income tax raids at SPK Company and Expressway Private Limited in Chennai as major tax evasion is being suspected
- Bombay HC is set to begin hearing on Col Purohit’s discharge plea in the 2008 Malegaon blast
- SC refuses to stay Centre’s notification introducing pictorial representation on tobacco-related packets
Bribery charges against BSF commandant : Court directs CBI to file probe report
Covai Post Network
April 9, 2018
KOCHI: The CBI court in Thiruvananthapuram directed the investigative agency to file a probe report on BSF commandant Jibu D Mathew’s links with cross border smugglers. Chiding the CBI for sitting on the probe, the court asked whether the agency was facilitating Jibu to get bail in the case.
The case relates to the seizure of Rs 50 lakh from Jibu while he was getting down from Shalimar Express by CBI sleuths on January 30 at Alappuzha.
The court made the observations while hearing argument on a bail plea of the second accused, Mohammad Imamul Haq (Bishu Sheikh), who had allegedly paid the money to Jibu.
Counsel for CBI said that the investigation team was collecting details in Bengal in connection with the case. “It is not possible to divulge the details as it involved safety and security of the country,” the counsel argued.
Bishu was arrested in Kolkata on March 2.