23 Apr 2018, Edition - 1014, Monday
- PM Modi is slated to meet Chinese President Xi Jinping during a summit in China’s Wuhan city
- Former UPA Minister Kapil Sibal addresses the media on the impeachment motion, says ‘Dismissal of motion illegal’
- Paris suspect Abdeslam guilty over Brussels shootout: Court
- BJP faces protest in Mysuru as Yeddyurappa’s son denied ticket
- Rahul Gandhi breaks silence on impeachment bid, ‘Judicial Institutions being undermined’
- Actor Salman Khan has filed a petition in the Supreme Court urging it to revoke an FIR filed against him in Rajasthan’s Churu district
- TCS was the top gainer among Nifty50 stocks rising over 4 per cent
- India China Wuhan Summit: PM Modi to visit China later this week, bilateral meet post Doklam standoff
- Ahead of J&K Cabinet reshuffle, J&K BJP Ministers arrive in Delhi to meet Ram Madhav, Jitendra Singh, Netas likely to meet Amit Shah
- Despite a warning from PM, BJP MP Bharat Singh stokes massive row, Neta attacks Christian Missions
Pongal liquor sales reach record Rs 220 cr in TN
Covai Post Network
January 17, 2018
Chennai: The Pongal weekend set a record liquor sales of Rs 220 crore. The State-run TASMAC sales were a shade higher than that of New Year.
Pongal sales were said to be higher by Rs 15 crore compared to last year. Daily average sales from across 5,000 shops was in the Rs 100 crore but more than doubled during Pongal. Sources said a target of Ra 215 had been set during New Year but could not be achieved as most of the outlet owners did not participate in bar auction. Sales stood at Rs 195 crore.
On the day of Boghi, Rs 92 crore worth of liquor was and on Pongal day it was Rs 127 crore. The next day, Thiruvalluvar Day was a dry day. Sources said that but for the price revision last year, sales would have touched Rs 250 crore.