22 Oct 2018, Edition - 1196, Monday
- PMO summons CBI Chief and Special Director
- Asthana, who is number two in the CBI’s hierarchy, has been booked in a bribery case by the agency in Moin Qureshi graft probe
- Supreme court will take the decision on the hearing of 19 review Petition in Sabarimala case tomorrow
- PIL has been submitted for CBI inquiry in Amritsar incident, approval awaited
- Earthquake of magnitude 3.0 hit Himachal Pradesh’s Kinnaur at 9:11 am today
- My government fixing one family’s mistakes, giving credit to leaders like Bose: PM Modi
- CBI chief trying to frame me, special director Rakesh Asthana wrote to CVC
- Government plans exam to recruit 6,000 judges for lower courts
- Petrol pump owners are on a 24-hour strike in New Delhi
Pongal liquor sales reach record Rs 220 cr in TN
Covai Post Network
January 17, 2018
Chennai: The Pongal weekend set a record liquor sales of Rs 220 crore. The State-run TASMAC sales were a shade higher than that of New Year.
Pongal sales were said to be higher by Rs 15 crore compared to last year. Daily average sales from across 5,000 shops was in the Rs 100 crore but more than doubled during Pongal. Sources said a target of Ra 215 had been set during New Year but could not be achieved as most of the outlet owners did not participate in bar auction. Sales stood at Rs 195 crore.
On the day of Boghi, Rs 92 crore worth of liquor was and on Pongal day it was Rs 127 crore. The next day, Thiruvalluvar Day was a dry day. Sources said that but for the price revision last year, sales would have touched Rs 250 crore.