21 Feb 2018, Edition - 953, Wednesday
- Actor Kamal Haasan launches new political party “Makkal Needhi Maiyam”
- Major Political entry Actor kamalhaasan will be announcing his political party a short while from now.
- Karnataka Congress MLA Byrathi Basavaraj’s aides slap traffic policeman
- SC sends message to fringe, stay on FIR against Priya Varrier.
- Former Pakistan cricketer’s son commits suicide over non-selection in U-19 team
- Cost effective ISRO: India’s Chandrayaan-2 said to be cheaper than Hollywood’s Interstellar
- State government denied permission to Kamal Haasan to visit A. P. J. Abdul Kalam school
- Big development in PNB fraud case, CBI arrests PNB’s Rajesh Jindal.
- Adviser to Delhi CM, VK Jain detained by Delhi Police
Pongal liquor sales reach record Rs 220 cr in TN
Covai Post Network
January 17, 2018
Chennai: The Pongal weekend set a record liquor sales of Rs 220 crore. The State-run TASMAC sales were a shade higher than that of New Year.
Pongal sales were said to be higher by Rs 15 crore compared to last year. Daily average sales from across 5,000 shops was in the Rs 100 crore but more than doubled during Pongal. Sources said a target of Ra 215 had been set during New Year but could not be achieved as most of the outlet owners did not participate in bar auction. Sales stood at Rs 195 crore.
On the day of Boghi, Rs 92 crore worth of liquor was and on Pongal day it was Rs 127 crore. The next day, Thiruvalluvar Day was a dry day. Sources said that but for the price revision last year, sales would have touched Rs 250 crore.