April 4, 2018
Image credit : Illustrative image
Coimbatore : As many as 30 persons in Mettupalayam fell ill and were hospitalised today after consuming ‘prasadam’ at a temple last night.
According to police, the devotees, including two children and women, had consumed prasadam such as pongal, a rice delicacy in Sri Selvamuthu Mariammal temple in Nadar colony, some 45 km from here last night.
As all the persons complained of sickness and vomiting early today, they were admitted to the Government Hospital this morning, police said. Preliminary inquiry revealed that ghee, unfit for preparation of food, might have used for making the prasadam and also lack of proper maintenance of the vessel could have led to the food poisoning. Further investigations were on, they said.