23 May 2018, Edition - 1044, Wednesday
- Indian Air Force Cheetah helicopter crash-lands in Natha Top in Jammu and Kashmir
- NHRC takes cognizance of Tuticorin violence, issues notice to Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary and DGP
- The Madras High Court directed Vedanta to stop the construction of the second unit of Sterlite copper smelter plant
- Tamil Nadu government forms judicial commission to probe Tuticorin violence
- J&K: Grenade attack in Bijbehara as 7 civilians were injured
- MHA has sought a report from Tamil Nadu Government on the violence in Tuticorin
- Mudarai HC stays expansion of Sterlite copper smelter plan
- US President Donald Trump warned that his landmark summit with Kim Jong Un may not take place as planned
- Sec 144 imposed in and around Tuticorin till May 25th
- Shops were shut and 5000 policemen were deployed in Tuticorin after 11 people died while protesting against the Sterlite Plant
Five murder accused detained under Goondas Act
Covai Post Network
November 15, 2017
Image credit : Illustrative Image
Five under trials, lodged in central jail here and at Puzhal in Chennai, in connection with a double murder, were detained under Goondas Act on Wednesday.
The five – R. Surya, Vignesh Kumar, C. Surya, Vijayraj and Mohanraj – were arrested in connection with the murder of Selvaraj and Anandakumar in a pubic toilet at Selvapuram in the city on September 22 last.
Believing that there could be law and order problem if the accused were released on bail, City Police Commissioner A. Amalraj issued the orders detaining them under Goondas Act, which were served on them in the respective jails.