May 30, 2017
A fire broke out at Gem Hospital at 7.30 am today. None was hurt and the fire was doused immediately.
Patients on the first floor where the fire broke out were shifted immediately to hospitals nearby.
According to hospital sources, the fire was the result of a short circuit in the UPS room on the first floor. It suddenly spread to the nearby room where waste cotton was kept. The fire arrived immediately to douse the flames. City Deputy Commissioner of Police S. Lakshmi came to the spot and made a primary investigation.
“Patients in the first floor are shifted to the nearest hospitals and arrangements were made for their treatment,” said hospital Chairman Dr C Palanivelu.