19 Mar 2018, Edition - 979, Monday
- The eminent CEO panelists gathered to discuss the growing power of digital economy at the Innovation Summit.
- Bhagalpur clashes: FIR filed | Mantri’s son accused of displaying arms; allegedly took out procession, sans permission
- Kolkata: Mamata-KCR meet ends | We made a good beginning today, says Telangana CM KCR
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has launched a direct hotline to mark the occasion of completion of one year of his government
- Panjim: Massive protest by mining workers, after SC ordered ban on mining activity, mine workers go on a strike
- Vladimir Putin won a landslide victory in Russia’s presidential election, receiving 76.67% of the vote
- Delhi Deputy CM Manish Sisodia reacts on his & Kejriwal’s apology to Nitin Gadkari & Kapil Sibal
- Telangana CM K Chandrashekhar Rao meets West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee in Kolkata to discuss Third Front
- Faced with defamation suits, Arvind Kejriwal Delhi CM now apologises to Gadkari
- A day after Pakistan killed 5 innocent Indians, J&K CM pushes for talks with Pakistan
Plea to permit women to contest Panchayat Chief post
Covai Post Network
September 19, 2016
A woman resident from the Kurudampalayam Panchayat has requested the District Collector, T.N. Hariharan, to permit women of the area to contest for the chairman post.
Claiming that only men had been contesting for the post ever since the area was made a panchayat, the petitioner, K. Chitra, said that it has disappointed many women in the area.
“Even the nearby panchayats including Pannimadai, Ashokapuram, Naickenpalayam and Nanjundapuram are permitting women candidates to contest polls in alternative process. We are wondering why the administration is preventing us from contesting elections,” she has said in her petition.
“We hope the administration announce it as an all-woman panchayat in the coming elections,” she said.