September 24, 2019
India is a diverse country of varied features, religions, languages, cuisines and so much more. While we know the basics of the land we live in, there’s a lot more history to it than that. What better time to discover them than today on India’s 72nd Independence Day. Here are 8 facts about India that are sure to leave you amazed.
1. India is home to the largest film industry in the world and more than 1,100 movies are produced every year, on an average.
2. Ancient India generously gave the world many gifts. These include chess, yoga, Ayurveda and the decimal system among many others.
3. The tune for the Indian national anthem, Jana Gana Mana was composed by Margaret Cousins, wife of educationist, Dr. James Henry Cousins who was then the Principal of the Madanapalle College.
4. India has the 3rd largest rail network in the world with a total length of approximately 116, 000 kms.
5. In total, 122 Indian languages are each spoken by more than 10,000 people.
6. India is the world’s largest democracy.
7. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, India ranks third behind the USA and the UK in the number of records claimed each year.
8. India’s is the largest producer and consumer of mangoes in the world with more than 40 percent of the world’s annual mango output being grown in India.