22 Mar 2018, Edition - 982, Thursday
- J&K: 2 cops and 2 Army jawans martyred in Kupwara encounter; 4-5 terrorists still holed up
- Sensex closed 139.42 points or 0.42% higher at 33,136.18 after rising as much as 350 points during intraday high
- Both telcos are locked in a fierce battle for subscribers and need to invest in expanding their 4G network
- The ₹ 6 Lakh reward will be part of the revised ‘Rehabilitation Policy for Militants
- 15-year-old girl student commits suicide at her home on Tuesday by hanging herself from a ceiling fan
- Maharashtra: 5 men linked to ISIS terror outfit arrested by ATS; plot to target Bodhgaya foiled.
- DMK’s Stalin writes to CMs of 10 states, demanding fiscal autonomy for states
- Former Maharashtra CM Sushilkumar Shinde speaks on Congress’ U-turn on Lingayats
- Disruption in Lok Sabha leads to the house being adjourned for the day
- Ceasefire violations at an all-time high as Pak has violated ceasefire 600 times in nearly 2 months
8 transport workers crushed to death as restroom roof collapses in Nagapattinam
Covai Post Network
October 20, 2017
Chennai: Eight state transport employees were crushed to death when the roof of the rest room at Poraiyar bus stand in Nagapattinam district collapsed on Friday morning. They were sleeping when the mishap occurred. Three staff injured were admitted to hospital and the condition of one of them is said to be serious.
State Transport Minister MR Vijayabhaskar rushed to the spot and later told mediapersons that an inquiry was being conducted. He also announced compensation for the family of the deceased.
PMK founder S Ramadoss said union leaders had way back in 2005 requested the authorities to repair the building which was old and unfit for use.In a statement, he alleged that the transport corporation authorities had got its engineers to certify that the building was strong and demanded action against those officials.
It was only last month that four persons died and seven were injured when the concrete roof of the Somanur bus stand near Coimbatore collapsed.