16 Jul 2018, Edition - 1098, Monday
- NHRC issues notice to Maharashtra govt over suicide by almost 700 farmers in the state
- Terrorists opened fire upon a police post guarding the house of NC leader at Murran Pulwama, 1 cop martyred, 2 guards injured
- Major Aditya Case: J&K authorities refuse to quash FIR, wants all states involved
- Petrol becomes cheaper by 11 Paise, Diesel by 14
- NIA Court sends Asiya Andrabi and two others for 30 days judicial custody
- Even doing ‘Puja’ has become difficult here, says PM Modi in Midnapore
- J&K: Infiltration bid foiled in Kupwara as 1 terrorist was gunned down while 2 army men were injured in the firing
- Income tax raids at SPK Company and Expressway Private Limited in Chennai as major tax evasion is being suspected
- Bombay HC is set to begin hearing on Col Purohit’s discharge plea in the 2008 Malegaon blast
- SC refuses to stay Centre’s notification introducing pictorial representation on tobacco-related packets
8 transport workers crushed to death as restroom roof collapses in Nagapattinam
Covai Post Network
October 20, 2017
Chennai: Eight state transport employees were crushed to death when the roof of the rest room at Poraiyar bus stand in Nagapattinam district collapsed on Friday morning. They were sleeping when the mishap occurred. Three staff injured were admitted to hospital and the condition of one of them is said to be serious.
State Transport Minister MR Vijayabhaskar rushed to the spot and later told mediapersons that an inquiry was being conducted. He also announced compensation for the family of the deceased.
PMK founder S Ramadoss said union leaders had way back in 2005 requested the authorities to repair the building which was old and unfit for use.In a statement, he alleged that the transport corporation authorities had got its engineers to certify that the building was strong and demanded action against those officials.
It was only last month that four persons died and seven were injured when the concrete roof of the Somanur bus stand near Coimbatore collapsed.