April 23, 2019
Coimbatore : An elephant was found electrocuted after it came into contact with a live electricity wire near a farm in Mettupalayam in the district early Tuesday.
According to police, the workers of an areca nut farm some distance from Nellithurai foreset area, noticed the tusker, aged about 30 years, lying dead with a tree and a power line touching it.
On being informed, police and forest department officials rushed to the spot and recovered the carcass and sent it for autopsy.
Officials suspect that trunk of the elephant could have come into contact with the wire, when it tried to pull down one of the trees. Further investigations on, they said.