23 Mar 2018, Edition - 983, Friday
- JNU protests turn ugly after police use water cannons to stop protesters
- RS results starts pouring in, Kumar Ketkar wins from Maharashtra
- RS polls UPDATE: Anil Baluni wins from Uttarakhand, Saroj Pandey wins from Chattisgarh. Counting resumes in Karnataka
- Australia has abolished the subclass 457 visa category popular among skilled overseas workers
- Amid Parliament ruckus, Anna Hazare returns to the National Capital and begins indefinite hunger strike today.
- In a major setback for the SP-BSP alliance, 3 independent MLAs pledge support to BJP in Uttar Pradesh Rajya Sabha elections
- 3 independent MLAs pledge support to BJP in Uttar Pradesh Rajya Sabha elections
- Patna: Denied stretcher, father carries the sick child in arms while kin hold the oxygen cylinder
- Thane CDR Case: Police to move SC to challenge the Bombay HC order of Rizwan Siddiqui’s release
- Opposition MLAs create ruckus after 20 AAP MLAs were allowed to sit inside the Delhi Assembly by the Speaker
700 gm gold in powder form seized from passenger at Coimbatore airport
Covai Post Network
November 6, 2017
Image credit : Illustrative Image
An Air Arabia passenger was today taken into custody here today for attempting to smuggle gold concealing it in powder form in medical dressing.
Abdul Kareem from Nilambur in Kerala, had a bandage on both of his legs and was found moving in a suspicious manner when Customs officials nabbed him at the international airport around 4:30 am.
It was found that he had taken gold in powder form, mixed it with some semi-solid chemical paste and used it as medical dressing on his legs. The seized material is said to be worth Rs 26.34 lakh.
He admitted powdering around 700 gm (six gold bars of 10 tola each) and mixing it with some chemical. Customs officials are in the process of extracting the gold with the help of a goldsmith.
He claims that he was not a carrier for anyone and the he had proposed to sell it in the local market for a good margin, officials said.
Wind : 0.6 km/h
Humidity : 91%
Weather Layer by www.BlogoVoyage.fr