21 Mar 2018, Edition - 981, Wednesday
- J&K: 2 cops and 2 Army jawans martyred in Kupwara encounter; 4-5 terrorists still holed up
- Sensex closed 139.42 points or 0.42% higher at 33,136.18 after rising as much as 350 points during intraday high
- Both telcos are locked in a fierce battle for subscribers and need to invest in expanding their 4G network
- The ₹ 6 Lakh reward will be part of the revised ‘Rehabilitation Policy for Militants
- 15-year-old girl student commits suicide at her home on Tuesday by hanging herself from a ceiling fan
- Maharashtra: 5 men linked to ISIS terror outfit arrested by ATS; plot to target Bodhgaya foiled.
- DMK’s Stalin writes to CMs of 10 states, demanding fiscal autonomy for states
- Former Maharashtra CM Sushilkumar Shinde speaks on Congress’ U-turn on Lingayats
- Disruption in Lok Sabha leads to the house being adjourned for the day
- Ceasefire violations at an all-time high as Pak has violated ceasefire 600 times in nearly 2 months
Taxies off road in Ooty against Ola, Uber entry
Covai Post Network
December 18, 2017
Ooty : Around 600 taxis in the Nilgiris were off the roads in this tourist town today in protest against the entry of Ola and Uber taxies.
The drivers and owners, under the banner of Nilgiris District Tourist Vehicle Owners and Drivers Association, alleged that the entry of such chain of cars would hit their livelihood hard. Since these taxies planned to operate from the district, a major tourist destination, over 600 taxis and thousands of drivers depending on them would be rendered jobless, they said.
Besides, the association also wanted the administration to levy tax on two-wheelers given on rent in the town, police said.
They staged a demonstration and raised slogans in support of their demand.