December 14, 2016
Thanjavur: In a tragic incident, a worker died of electrocution and three others were injured at Srinivasanallur village in Ammapettai police limits today.
A group of workers were engaged by Kaliyamurthy of Srinivasanallur village to sink a borewell at a colony in the village. The workers were busy erecting the metal pipes one by one deep into the ground when the 18-foot-long pipe unexpectedly touched the high voltage power line overhead. On impact, one worker namely Ayyar alias Sundaram (50), a resident of Mathur village, who was holding the pipe was electrocuted and died on the spot. Besides him, three others, namely R Punniyamurthy (45) and R Karthik (33), both hailing from Thandankorai village and T Rajagopal (45) of Gopalapuram village were injured.
All the three injured were admitted to the Thanjavur Medical College Hospital.
On being informed, Ammapettai police visited the spot and conducted an enquiry. They also arranged to send the body to TMCH for postmortem. Police have registered a case and further investigation is on.