• Download mobile app
26 Feb 2024, Edition - 3149, Monday

Trending Now

  • MNM – DMK seat sharing possible before Feb 28. Actor Kamal Hassan to leave country on Feb 29 for a film shoot.
  • Speaker Appavu accepts resignation of Congress MLA Vijayadharini.
  • Google pay to be suspended from June in America : Google
  • Unless there is reservation for dalits, it is impossible for them to contest in elections : NTK leader Seeman.


Parasailing adventure turns fatal for businessman

Covai Post Network


In a tragic case of gross negligence, a 53-year-old runner from Coimbatore fell from a 30 feet height during an attempt to parasail near Codissia in Coimbatore, on Sunday.

While the event organisers claimed that Malleshwar Rao suffered a heart failure, onlookers said that there were not enough safety measures, adding that the hook connecting the safety gear and the parachute was not locked in properly, resulting in the fatal fall.

According to the police, Malleshwar Rao, a resident of Peelamedu had come with a few friends to parasail at Codissia, jointly organised by Coimbatore Medical College and Hospital (CMCH) and Indian Aero Sports and Science Club of Coimbatore, around 10.30 am.

The event was conducted as a part of the Golden Jubilee Celebrations of CMC.

One of the onlookers, said that there were no proper safety measures provided for the parasailing enthusiasts, she observed that Malleshawar, who was the second person to parasail, had struggled on his first attempt.

“The chute was stuck by wind and started moving sideways in spite of going up on the first attempt. So they had to wait for some time, and only then geared up for the second attempt,” she added.

It was during the second attempt that the organizers had failed to latch the safety gear on to his chute.

“They realised the mistake only after he went 30 feet in the air. By then, nothing could be done and he fell with a loud noise,” another onlooker said.

Despite being seriously injured, Malleshwar was taken to a nearby private hospital only on the organiser’s vehicle, and no ambulance was available on the spot.

But Malleshwar was declared brought-dead by the hospital. A businessman by profession, Malleshwar Rao, a resident of KTVR Residency, is survived by his wife M. Padhmashree, son M. Surya, and daughter M. Manasha.

“We paid Rs. 500 each, for a ride. But it was shocking to see that there were no safety measures, and not even an ambulance stationed. The area was filled with thorns and rocks, and there is no way that safe landing was possible,” added the onlooker.

Notably, the ADGP of Coastal Security Group reportedly attempted to parasail in the premises recently. The event was arranged by the Coimbatore Medical College as a part of its golden jubilee celebrations.

When Covai Post tried to contact the person in charge of the event, his phone was switched off. The Peelamedu police have registered a case and are investigating.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter