17 Mar 2018, Edition - 977, Saturday
- The Congress and other political parties have been alleging that EVMs tampered during polls and demanding reintroduction of the ballot paper system of voting.
- J&K Minister Altaf Bukhari sings praises for Separatist Syed Ali Shah Geelani | Bukhari: Geelani is a very big leader and my stature is too small
- Pro-Khalistan terrorist convicted of killing former Punjab Chief Minister Beant Singh does not regreat his action, says his lawyer.
- MS Dhoni all praise for Nepal after it was granted ODI status by the International Cricket Council (ICC)
- Mohammed Shami issues clarification on wife’s ‘rape’ allegations
- According to reports, a Bangladesh player broke the glass while celebrating the team’s win over Sri Lanka in the T20I Nidahas Trophy tri-series.
- 43-year-old Tara had earlier confessed to his involvement in the assassination of Beant Singh in 1995.
- Delhi: NCB (Narcotics Control Bureau) busts big drug racket.
- 3 Bangladeshi nationals held in Pune | Arrested nationals said to have terror links | Accused have links with Al Qaeda affiliate | ATS to probe their terror links
- Modi and his associates allegedly defrauded Punjab National Bank of around Rs 13,000 crore through fraudulent LOUs of PNB
TNAU says `natural enemies’ aplenty to destroy wooly aphid in sugarcane
Covai Post Network
February 6, 2018
Coimbatore:After observing the incident of attack of wooly aphids in sugarcane in Chithode area in nearby Erode district, Tamil Nadu Agricultural University (TNAU) today advised farmers not to panic as `natural enemies’ will destroy them.
A TNAU team, led by two professors from agricultural entomology department visited the sugarcane fields of a farmer Chinnasamy of Kumilamparappu in Chithode between Erode and Bhavani.
The team observed to note the presence of two predators – brown lacewings (micromus igorotus) and pyralid larvae (dipha aphidivora) in the colony of wooly aphid to the tune of two to four per leaf, an entomology department release said.
As these predators could control wooly aphids in 30-60 days, conservation of natural enemies by not resorting to spraying of insecticides was recommended.
Farmers are requested to look for natural enemies when they observed wooly aphids in sugarcane fields and not to panic.