23 May 2018, Edition - 1044, Wednesday
- Indian Air Force Cheetah helicopter crash-lands in Natha Top in Jammu and Kashmir
- NHRC takes cognizance of Tuticorin violence, issues notice to Tamil Nadu Chief Secretary and DGP
- The Madras High Court directed Vedanta to stop the construction of the second unit of Sterlite copper smelter plant
- Tamil Nadu government forms judicial commission to probe Tuticorin violence
- J&K: Grenade attack in Bijbehara as 7 civilians were injured
- MHA has sought a report from Tamil Nadu Government on the violence in Tuticorin
- Mudarai HC stays expansion of Sterlite copper smelter plan
- US President Donald Trump warned that his landmark summit with Kim Jong Un may not take place as planned
- Sec 144 imposed in and around Tuticorin till May 25th
- Shops were shut and 5000 policemen were deployed in Tuticorin after 11 people died while protesting against the Sterlite Plant
Ailing tusker found dead near Anaikatti
Covai Post Network
November 14, 2017
Image credit : File Photo
The elephant, whose abscess on a leg was removed by forest veterinarians last week, was found dead in the wee hours of Tuesday near Anaikatti on the city outskirts.
Last Saturday, people at Kondalur village near Anaikatti noticed the pachyderm struggling to move around and informed the forest department which deployed three veterinarians. The 25-year-old tusker was tranquilised and after a two-hour operation, the abscess was removed and the tusker was given adequate food. It later moved into the forest and teams to monitor it were deployed, forest officials said.
The elephant had injuries on it neck and tail and the officials had then said there was not much hope of the elephant surviving. An autopsy is to be held later, they added.