• Download mobile app
23 Oct 2021, Edition - 2293, Saturday

Trending Now

  • 34 dead as record rains lash Uttarakhand, trigger floods
  • Melbourne welcomes vaccinated Sydney residents without quarantine
  • India reports 14,623 new #COVID19 cases, 19,446 recoveries & 197 deaths in the last 24 hrs as per Union Health Ministry


Differently abled man seeks petty shop

Covai Post Network


A 31-year old differently abled man from Selvapuram has petitioned for a petty shop to help his family.

Y. Abbas, residing at Selvapuram, was attacked by polio when he was three years old and lost the ability to walk without support.

“I studied in a Government Higher Secondary School near Town Hall and was forced to discontinue my education because of my family situation,” he said.

Abbas, one of the five sons in the family, said that he worked in a slipper shop run by his brother, but had to discontinue because of loss in the business.

He alleged that he had sought the help of the District Administration for scholarships and other welfare funds but was not considered.

“I had been trying for the past ten years to avail government benefits, but all my efforts have turned futile,” he claimed.

As a last resort Abbas has petitioned Collector Archana Patnaik to provide him a petty shop.

“I requested them to allot a shop either on the Selvapuram By-pass or near the Pelamedu Road Transport Office. But the Administration has directed me to the City Corporation,” he said.

Abbas added that he was told to seek permission from the Corporation and the local police station for further action on his petition.

However, according to the People with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Rights and Full Participation) Act, the State Government and the local authorities should provide land for people with disabilities at a concessional rate for setting up business.

According to a source from the Collectorate, petty shops are auctioned by the City Corporation and those who are interested can approach the Corporation officials.

“The person who applies should hold a valid certificate of his disability issued by the State Government,” he added.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter