• Download mobile app
17 Jan 2019, Edition - 1283, Thursday

Trending Now

  • Justice Dinesh Maheswari, Justice Sanjiv Khanna will be sworn in as SC judges on Friday
  • Isro launches UNNATI to train foreign personnel
  • NGT directs Volkswagen to give an undertaking and deposit money by 5 pm Friday
  • Ex-BCCI president N Srinivasan lashes out at CoA
  • Body of one of 15 trapped Meghalaya miners found by naval divers
  • Mayawati’s MBA nephew enters frame, sparks speculation in BSP circles
  • Leopard takes away 3-year-old girl from mother’s lap in Bengal

Coimbatore

MGR Centenary celebrations claims another life , this time in Ooty

Covai Post Network

The death due to electrocution of a man here on Thursday cast a shadow on the arrangements now in progress for the birth centenary celebrations of the AIADMK founder and former Chief Minister M.G.Ramachandran.

Enquiries made by The Covai Post revealed that late in the evening a farmer D.Babu (48) who was engaged in farm operations had touched a steel pole which was reportedly leaning against an over head high tension line. He had died on the spot.

Since the pipe had allegedly been used as a flag pole by the organizers of the centenary celebrations residents of Kodappamund staged a road roko agitation demanding an enquiry.

A case has been registered and an investigation in underway. The incident has created a flutter in this hill station.

CM Edapaddi Palanisamy is responsible for the future of his daughter, a law student

The brother of the deceased Murali who is a daily wage labour told the Covai Post that he and his brother had brought cowdung from the hill to be offloaded to a truck near where the incident occurred.

Murali who witnessed the incident said that the AIADMK flagpoles were erected losely along the stretch and one of them was leaning on to a high tension wire. Babu who saw the pole leaning wanted to straighten it so that it does not fall on anyone. He however did not notice that it was leaning on to a high tension wire. The moment he touched it he got electrocuted and died on the spot.

Stating that Babu was the sole bread winner of the family, Murali said that his niece was a law student studying in Mysore. “Though we have informed her, she is not in a position to travel alone at this hour. The future of the girl hangs in balance and it is the responsibility of the CM to ensure it is secured”, said the brother sobbing uncontrollably.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

COIMBATORE WEATHER