- Download mobile app
22 Jan 2018, Edition - 923, Monday
- PM Modi lands in Zurich, Switzerland Will attend the World Economic Forum at Davos on Tuesday
- PM Modi lands in Zurich, Switzerland
- Karni Sena approaches Supreme Court against the release of film Padmaavat
- Govt hospital in Karnataka turns gambling denDoctors, Nurses seen gambling Patients left unattended
- We should go for comprehensive electoral reforms, says D. Raj, CPI
- Half of the country believes nation is in job crisis
- I work as much as I can for the people, says PM Narendramodi
- The country should be mukt of corruption, says Abid Rasool, Congress
- This is not a Congress vs BJP issue, says NC Spokesperson Sameer Kaul
- I want to unite people with humanitarian values, PM Narendramodi
Suspended IPS official turns against Church over land deals
Covai Post Network
January 2, 2018
Kochi: After locking horns with the LDF Government in Kerala, suspended IPS official Jacob Thomas has now turned against the Catholic Church accusing it of involving in financial irregularities and money laundering.
The former vigilance DGP in his Facebook post said the Syro Malabar church had prima facie evaded tax in land deals. The church owned only three acres of which it sold 2.46 acres getting Rs 9 crore and Rs 22 crore was outstanding. On the other hand, the amount shown in the title deed was Rs 13 crore.
Thomas said action should be taken to make good the revenue lost by the government due to tax evasion by the church.
A section of priests had recently come out against Cardinal and Major Archbishop Mar George Allencherry accusing him of getting involved in financial irregularities.