23 May 2018, Edition - 1044, Wednesday
- Several are feared to be trapped as building in Jodhpur collapsed due to digging work in the Sadarpura area
- NHRC issues notice to Gujarat govt, notice to govt over dalit atrocity, dalit was beaten to death in Rajkot
- After VVPATs were seized from Vijayapura, B.S Yeddyurappa moves poll panel, seeks probe into the matter
- SC rejects Hindu Mahasabha’s petition, plea challenged Cong-JDS alliance, plea called pact ‘unconstitutional’
- Cricketer Jadeja’s wife allegedly thrashed, cop attacks Rivaba Jadeja in Jamnagar, assaulted after collision of vehicles
- The southern states parties barring Tamil Nadu’s AIADMK and chief minister K Palaniswami will also be in attendance
Union Minister Alphons criticises handling of Ockhi disaster
Covai Post Network
December 3, 2017
Union Minister for Tourism Alphons Kannanthanam on Sunday made ambiguous remarks on the LDF government handling Ockhi issue.
First he stood by Kerala government’s claim that the state was informed late on November 30 about the cyclone before which the fishermen had ventured into the sea.
Soon he made a U- turn while addressing reporters along with state BJP leaders when he said the IMD had issued clear warnings on November 28 and 29 that there will be depression in the sea and that fishermen should not go out for fishing.
A day after Kerala requested the centre to declare Ockhi a national disaster, he said it was not possible. The cyclone will not be declared a national disaster.
However the Centre can consider providing funds, he said.