- Download mobile app
20 Jan 2018, Edition - 921, Saturday
- BJP MP @Swamy39 speaks on Election Commission’s disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal must step down, says Congress spokesperson Tom Vadakkan
- 24-yr-old ABVP activist hacked to death in Kannur District
- Two teenagers bleed to death on the road as UP Police, unwilling to ‘soil car with blood’, refuse to help
- Two bombs found near Bodh Gaya pilgrimage centre in Bihar
- Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal has stabbed people in the back, says Sambit Patra, BJP spokesperson
- On camera: Karni Sena supporters ransack movie hall in Haryana’s Faridabad
- Bellandur lake in Bengaluru catches fire again, 5,000 jawans to the rescue
Vandana Shiva participates in ‘Naree Puja’
Covai Post Network
December 22, 2017
Environmental activist and writer Vandana Shiva participated in the ‘Naree Puja’ at the Chakkulathukaavu Bhagavathi temple in Alappuzha on Friday. The ceremony, is performed on the first Friday of Dhanumasam.
The puja is performed to worship women as goddess. Vandana was garlanded and made to sit on a special chair (peetam) for the ritual. The chief priest, Radhakrishnan Namboodiri, washed her feet and offered flowers to her before performing the arti.
The writer, who was the chief guest, said she was overwhelmed. “Never have I seen such a unique ritual anywhere,” she said.
Singer K.S. Chitra, actor Rajinikanth’s wife Latha, actors Manju Warrier and Parvathi have taken part in the puja on earlier occasions.