22 Mar 2018, Edition - 982, Thursday
- J&K: 2 cops and 2 Army jawans martyred in Kupwara encounter; 4-5 terrorists still holed up
- Sensex closed 139.42 points or 0.42% higher at 33,136.18 after rising as much as 350 points during intraday high
- Both telcos are locked in a fierce battle for subscribers and need to invest in expanding their 4G network
- The ₹ 6 Lakh reward will be part of the revised ‘Rehabilitation Policy for Militants
- 15-year-old girl student commits suicide at her home on Tuesday by hanging herself from a ceiling fan
- Maharashtra: 5 men linked to ISIS terror outfit arrested by ATS; plot to target Bodhgaya foiled.
- DMK’s Stalin writes to CMs of 10 states, demanding fiscal autonomy for states
- Former Maharashtra CM Sushilkumar Shinde speaks on Congress’ U-turn on Lingayats
- Disruption in Lok Sabha leads to the house being adjourned for the day
- Ceasefire violations at an all-time high as Pak has violated ceasefire 600 times in nearly 2 months
Won’t allow Sabarimala to be Thailand by letting women in, says devaswom chief
Covai Post Network
October 14, 2017
Image credit : illustrative image
Kottayam: Travancore Devaswom Board president Prayar Gopalakrishnan has come out against allowing entry of women into the Sabarimala shrine, claiming that it ‘will not be allowed to become a Thailand’.
In a statement with derogatory undertones, he said that even if the Supreme Court allowed women of all ages to enter the hill shrine, ‘dignified women’ would prefer not to visit the temple.
Entry of a large number of women to the temple would require a strong posse of policewomen to take care of their security, he told mediapersons. The presence of a large women police force would call for additional policemen to protect them, he added.